At JHOP DC people represent many different backgrounds and life experiences, yet we have all come together into one place of prayer.
“‘Everything is permissible’—but not everything is beneficial. ‘Everything is permissible’—but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.” (1 Corinthians 10:23-24)
“…whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31)
For the good of others we administrate our small room under the principle of love. We have reduced the level of personal freedom in our midst so that we can, in love, enjoy the prayer room as visitors and staff alike. Our Christian freedom is expressed in restraint so that the good of others may prevail. As you review these guidelines please see them through the lens of wanting everyone to enjoy the Lord in His house of prayer.
Use of Mouth
- Please limit quiet conversations in the prayer room to 15 seconds or less. If you feel the need to talk longer, feel free to go outside. Otherwise one of our staff may ask you to relocate your conversation.
- Personal vocal volume should not exceed beyond another who may be leading in prayer or worship. If you are praying from the microphone, please do not shout your prayer.
- No food is allowed in the prayer room.
- Only drinks with lids may be brought into the prayer room.
- Do not use your mobile phone in the prayer room. If it is important that you receive calls, place your phone on vibrate, and carry the conversation outside.
Use of the Hands
- Please respect other people’s personal space.
- When you pray for someone in the prayer room, always ask first for their permission to touch them.
- When you pray for someone in the prayer room, please do so from the front or side of the person. Limit your touch to the shoulders or hands (without rubbing), especially when praying for the opposite gender. When it comes to “laying on hands,” it is preferred that men pray for men and women pray for women.
- Please do not use any props or instruments in worship like flags, banners, sticks, swords, or musical instruments (i.e. tambourines, shofars, etc.).
Use of Feet
- Please do not remove your shoes in the prayer room.
- Please do not place your feet on the chairs.
- Please do not run in the prayer room.
Use of Space
- If we have a crowded prayer room, please limit your personal space to one chair.
- If you leave the prayer room for an extended time (longer than 15 minutes) please take your personal items with you.